Most men only wear one ring in their life which is the wedding band. Some, however, wear rings with personal significance such as a class ring, a family seal, or a Masonic emblem. Only a few men wear decorative rings. But rings are both for men and women, it’s just that women wear them more when compared to men.
If you’re a man who never purchased a ring for yourself before, it can be difficult to choose and the options can be intimidating. If you want to purchase a ring for yourself, here are some tips which might help you.
Pick the Style of Ring You Want
Before looking at a variety of rings available, figure out first the kind of ring you want to buy. Would you like a rich-looking ring, or maybe something tough? It is also better to go for a ring that would match most of your outfits or your everyday attire. A ring that will match your suit is a good investment if you regularly wear a suit. If not, it will just be an expensive piece of jewelry that you will not use much. Start with a ring that will be most useful for you, then you can add other pieces to the collection over the years.
Pick the Size of Ring You Want
There are two different things when it comes to choosing your ring size. They are the band size, that tells which of your fingers the ring fits on, and the cross-sectional width of the ring, that shows how chunky the ring looks on your hand.
Choosing the band size is easy because any jewelry store can measure your fingers for you. You’ll just have to decide which finger you want to wear the ring on. If you’re purchasing a ring online, there are print-off measuring tapes found on some sites and some guides on how you can measure your finger using a string. However, you will have to make sure that you’re following their guidelines exactly. It can be a hassle to get bands adjusted if you purchase the wrong size, and it is expensive, as well.
For some, wider rings appear to be more manly. Especially those rings which have a long cross-section. But when choosing a ring size, it’s better to stay with one that has at least a millimeter or two between the top edge of the ring and the knuckle above it. It is not too wide, and not too narrow as well.
Pick Your Materials
Rings are made of different materials, and choosing one will depend on your personal preferences. Here are some of the materials you can choose from.
- Gold: When it comes to the materials of rings and other jewelry, gold is one of the most popular choices. It has three shades, yellow gold, white gold, and rose gold. Gold jewelry is sold with a karat value which is measured as 24 times the mass of pure gold in the metal divided by the total mass of the metal. Therefore, 24k-gold is 100 percent pure gold.
- Silver: Silver is known as the cheaper alternative to gold, but they may cost more depending on its quality. In most jewelry, sterling silver is commonly used. Silver rings are reasonably affordable and simple.
- Platinum: Another precious metal used to make rings and other jewelry is platinum. It is also measured in karats like gold. It somehow looks like silver but it has a mellower color.
- Stainless Steel: If you want an affordable ring, you can go for a stainless steel material. It is graded based on the composition and the metals alloyed with the steel. The best grade for a stainless steel jewelry is 316. Also, most stainless steel jewelry is hypoallergenic.
- Titanium: Titanium is a lightweight material and it appears as a silver-tone. It is a durable and hypoallergenic material. Titanium rings are difficult to scratch and are water resistant.
- Tungsten Carbide: This material has a bright-silver-tone color. It is denser compared to titanium and it’s a good choice for men who like bulk and weight in their rings. However, it is not advisable if you have allergies to nickel, cobalt, and other metals.
- Cobalt Chrome: Cobalt chrome looks like platinum but it is harder and has a scratch-resistant surface. Rings made of cobalt chrome are safe for men with nickel allergies.
- Palladium: Palladium is a metal used to make jewelry look like platinum but it is cheaper most of the time. Palladium is lighter and less durable compared to platinum. It is also used as an alternative to nickel in making white gold to make it less allergenic.
- Ceramic: This material is popular because it’s non-metallic, scratch-resistant, and cheaper compared to other materials. Ceramic can be made to look like metals by using the right finish. However, they cannot be altered or resized.
- Gemstones: Gemstones are not very popular when it comes to men’s rings but there are still some rings available which are adorned by gemstones. It you want a ring with gemstones, choose one with only one or two very small accent stones.
When choosing a ring’s material, it’s also important to look into their quality as well. You could also ask the store you’re purchasing from where they get their gems and metals. If you’re buying online, try to read the item’s description and reviews first to see if it has good quality. Make sure that you will be getting a good quality ring with the price you’ll be paying.
Settle on a Price
Before spending your money on a ring, make sure that the one you’ve chosen really works for your style and taste. If it’s not quite your style or if you do not like it that much, or you find the price too high, then it might not be the perfect ring for you. Settle for a ring that you truly like no matter its price.
Once you’ve picked out the style, size, and material of a ring you want and you’ve settled for its price, then congratulations because you have purchased a ring for yourself.